Animal Care Specialist
Reports To: Sr. Shelter Manager
Classification: Hourly Non-Exempt
It’s an exciting time to join the Cincinnati Animal CARE team! Cincinnati Animal CARE is the new county animal services provider in Hamilton County and with this change in operational leadership comes the opportunity to be part of a new beginning in Greater Cincinnati animal welfare.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Sense of urgency
- Attention to detail
- Positive and h2 communication skills
- Cooperative and collaborative
- h2 customer service skills
Performs routine and specialized duties associated with animal care, including feeding, medicating, cleaning, restraint and transportation. Maintains adequate inventory of necessary supplies and equipment. Observes animal behavior and conditions, collects specimens and provides technical assistance to veterinary personnel. Performs minor repairs and maintains animal housing facility. May train and supervise new technicians. May drive utility vehicles to transport animals and supplies. Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Clean and disinfect animal cages and kennels and other areas of animal use
- Feed and provide water for animals in care
- Maintain general cleanliness of the animals living spaces
- Speak with potential adopters and introduce them to our animals
- Perform Meet & Greets with shelter dogs and the dogs of potential adopters
- Work with the Behavior and Training Department to implement daily enrichment activities
- Assist with routine medical procedures such as intake vaccinations
- Assist in maintaining animal records
- Assist in the maintenance of equipment, building, grounds and supplies
- Perform any other animal care and shelter duties as directed
- A high school diploma or equivalent and one year of animal husbandry/care experience
- Knowledge of caring for and feeding animals
- Prior shelter or kennel experience preferred but not required
- Ability to understand and adhere to policies and procedures
- Possess h2 oral and listening skills
- Ability to handle sensitive issues
- Ability to work under general supervision
- Ability to maintain accurate medical records
- Ability to restrain animals
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Positions within this classification may require a valid Ohio driver’s license
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, or tools listed above; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Exposure to unvetted animals is frequent; basic knowledge of animal behavior and common sense is needed.
Cincinnati Animal CARE provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, gender, disability, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Full-time and Part-time considered
From $15.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability