Cat Care Specialist
Department: Cat Care and Operations
Reports To: Cat Care Manager
Classification: Hourly Non-Exempt
Cincinnati Animal CARE (CAC) is the progressive and innovative Humane Society in contract with Hamilton County to deliver animal services. We enforce animal laws and prioritize public safety while striving to be a community resource providing education and support to the people and animals of Hamilton County. We believe that lifesaving is a community ethic and implement a collaborative, holistic approach to animal sheltering and Dog Warden.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Sense of urgency
- Attention to detail
- Strong work-ethic
- Positive and strong communication skills
- Cooperative and collaborative
- Strong customer service skills
Cat Care Specialists will be responsible for compassionate feline care including routine duties such as feeding, cleaning, and enrichment. Our Specialists are also responsible for engaging and speaking with potential adopters and fosters, and maintaining general shelter cleanliness for the health of our animals and experience of our customers.
- Clean and disinfect cat cages and other areas of animal use
- Feed and provide water for cats in care
- Maintain general cleanliness of the cat living spaces
- Speak with potential adopters and fosters and introduce them to our cats
- Implement daily enrichment activities
- Assist with routine medical procedures such as intake vaccinations
- Assist in maintaining cat records
- Assist in the maintenance of equipment, building, grounds and supplies
- May train new employees
- May assist with transport rescue or partner clinics as needed
- Perform any other animal care and shelter duties as directed
- Be aware of and report medical and behavior issues
- Be aware of and report safety concerns
- Demonstrate compassionate care of animals at all times
- Contribute to an exceptional experience for adopters, fosters, volunteers and donors
- Respect the time and effort of coworkers by being on-time for work and performing at a high level throughout the duration of each shift
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- 1 year of professional animal care experience preferred
- Understand basic animal behavior
- Knowledge of caring for and feeding animals
- Ability to understand and adhere to policies and procedures
- Possess strong oral and listening skills
- Ability to handle sensitive issues
- Ability to work under general supervision
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Positions within this classification may require a valid Ohio driver’s license
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, or tools listed above; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
- Exposure to unvetted animals is frequent
Cincinnati Animal CARE provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, gender, disability, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Special note about the state of our organization
Cincinnati Animal CARE is newly formed and by all accounts, a start-up company. Our entire organization started from scratch in August 2020 so our managers and coordinators are expected to be comfortable in an ever-changing environment where departmental structure needs to be built. Our most successful staff are flexible, demonstrate a willingness and excitement around building from the ground up and enjoy autonomy to create our programming. Very little is set in stone at CAC and it is the vision and creativity of our team that will lay the groundwork for years to come.
Job Type: Full-time and Part-time considered
Pay: From $15.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability