Customer Service Representative/Dispatcher
Position Reports to: Chief Dog Warden
Classification: Hourly Non-exempt
This is an exciting time to join the Cincinnati Animal CARE Dispatch team! We are the new Hamilton County Humane Society and Dog Warden, as of August 1, 2020, and are on a mission to bring exceptional, progressive animal sheltering to our county. With this change in operational leadership of the county shelter comes the opportunity to be part of a new beginning in Greater Cincinnati.
As a Customer Service Representative/Dispatcher you will be responsible for being the critical first link between the citizens of Hamilton County and our Animal Control Officers. The right candidate will be able to provide high-level compassionate customer service, receive accurate and detailed data during at times challenging circumstances, and effectively and efficiently communicate that information to our Animal Control Officers and shelter staff.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Strong and positive communication skills
- Cooperative and collaborative
- Sense of urgency
- Good listener
- To answer all incoming telephone calls made by the public in regards to general questions about the organization, as well as telephone calls regarding animals that are neglected, abused, lost, or found. Dispatching the necessary calls to our Animal Control Officers in a timely manner, to ensure that all calls concerning animals are being responded to. Maintains records associated with dispatch activities, dispatch logs, lost and found animal reports, check-back logs, etc.
- Interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face-to-face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and Cincinnati Animal CARE business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, compassionate, professional, knowledgeable, and respectful in all circumstances.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to follow instructions as given in either form.
- Ability to handle stressful and/or difficult situations as presented by customers, visitors, staff, and/or volunteers.
- Ability to handle sensitive and or confidential issues in a professional and discrete manner
- Ability to provide compassionate, high-level customer service.
- Ability to assess situations from a holistic perspective.
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to operate a computer and knowledge of commonly associated software programs.
- Ability to work daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays as assigned.
- Adherence to the applicable provisions of Cincinnati Animal CARE’s Policies & Procedures, the HR Policy Manual, and any other procedures, rules, regulations and policies set forth by appropriate authorities.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions necessary for the safe performance of assigned duties
- Ability to act independently within established guidelines
- Must have personal integrity
- Must maintain professional discretion
- Be able to gain a thorough knowledge of animal control ordinances
Education and/or Experience
- Must be 18 years or older
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Dispatch, Animal Control, or Law Enforcement experience is preferred but not necessary
Work Environment Considerations:
- Exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, traffic hazards, pathogenic substances, zoonotic diseases and parasites, and animal bites.
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance