Customer Service Specialist
Position Reports to: Outcomes Manager
Job Type: Full Time – 40 Hours
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
If you’re passionate about animal welfare and are looking for an opportunity to be a part of a contemporary shelter dedicated to being an elite lifesaving community resource center where we promote no-kill and best practice animal sheltering, and focus on best case live outcomes, this is the job for you. If you’re looking for a progressive leadership team that is committed to national best practices and will support you, this is the job for you.
This is an exciting time to join the Cincinnati Animal CARE team! We are the new Hamilton County Humane Society and Dog Warden, as of August 1, 2020, and are on a mission to bring exceptional animal sheltering to our county. With this change in operational leadership of the county shelter comes the opportunity to be part of a new beginning in Greater Cincinnati.
Everyone on our team must share our goal to lead our region (and the country!) in best practice, no-kill animal sheltering. Cincinnati Animal CARE is looking for an energetic and dynamic person who is enthusiastic about our mission, works with a sense of urgency, and thrives in a fast-paced, progressive animal shelter work environment. Teamwork and community are important to us as we believe people are the answer, not the problem. We are seeking an Outcomes Specialist who embraces change and growth, loves to learn and brings a positive and open-minded attitude to every challenge. This person must be a strong team player who values giving and receiving feedback. A commitment to a positive, non-judgemental, and collaborative work environment is a must. We believe that every day at Cincinnati Animal CARE is a day to do something great for the people and animals in our community.
As an Outcomes/Customer Service Specialist you will be responsible for facilitating best case live outcomes through Return to Owner, Adoption, Foster, or Transfer to Rescue while providing high level customer service. We greet all visitors ensuring to make all guests feel welcome, answer questions, provide assistance and/or direction as to public concerns and assist delivery personnel. Maintains records associated with front desk activities. Promotes the policies and procedures of the Humane Society in a positive manner to visitors, staff, and volunteers. This person must be aligned with departmental goals and the shelter’s mission, and adhere to progressive, best practice lifesaving outcome policies and protocols. In addition, Cincinnati Animal CARE has been selected as one of 16 Tier 1 pilot cities for the new American Pets Alive! HASS (Human Animal Support Services) program. This means our Outcomes department will be developing public-facing comprehensive lost pet reunification services as well as placement support with the goal of facilitating the best case live outcome with the least amount of time in the shelter.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their manager. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship. We reserve the right to change its contents at any time.
- Adoption – In this role we match animals with adopters while being mindful of the adopters home environment and any traits the individual animal may have. Our role includes counseling the adopter and providing the tools to aid in a successful adoption. This role involves high level customer service, ensuring the outcome has been completed accurately in our system, and vast amounts of attention to detail; including, verifying the medical record, license (if applicable), and microchip of every animal that is adopted before it leaves the facility.
- Return to Owner – Reuniting lost animals back to their owners. This involves high level customer service, ensuring the outcome has been completed accurately in our system, and vast amounts of attention to detail; including, verifying the identity of the animal and the person, assuring that the animal belongs to that person before it leaves the facility. An Outcomes Specialist is responsible for collecting fees and completing necessary forms associated with RTO’s, the sale of dog licenses, the sale of retail items.
- Foster – Assist in facilitating short and long term foster. This involves high level customer service, ensuring the outcome has been completed accurately in our system, and vast amounts of attention to detail.
- Transfer – Assist our community and rescue partners, helping to maintain a positive relationship. This involves high level customer service, ensuring the outcome has been completed accurately in our system, and vast amounts of attention to detail.
- Requesting and facilitating animals to be shown or released from its cage. Being an advocate for both the customer and the animal, ensuring the process is moving along in a timely yet comfortable manner.
- Answering the telephone when needed. This involves a great deal of customer service. Is responsible for answering basic questions, fielding telephone calls, recording and filing lost or found animal reports, as well as recording and forwarding animal well-being calls for the dispatcher. Responds to questions about specific animals and the adoption process.
- Cleaning and organizing the front lobby area, the back office, and public restrooms in Kitty City. Ensures all donations are dispersed to the appropriate departments prior to opening to the public.
- Contacting adopters after the adoption has taken place and fielding any issues or concerns that the adopter may have about their new pet.
- Responsible for handling financial transactions and daily accountability and balancing of receipts.
- Foster a work environment that motivates our team and inspires exceptional work.
- Work collaboratively with shelter staff, including Animal Care staff, Community Support, Dispatch, Behavior Team, the Medical Team, and Foster and Volunteer Coordinators.
- Work with the Media and Community Relations team to tell the story of our shelter animals and promote them on social media.
- Represents the organization in a professional and compassionate manner while providing knowledgeable information to the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
We proactively work to build strong and lasting human-animal relationships in our communities and affirm our central role of protecting the bonds between people and animals. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and Cincinnati Animal CARE partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support and uphold a positive team environment, directly address conflict and appropriately express concerns. Our workplace culture and core values are the foundation of who we are.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes and actions.
- Attention to Detail
- Decision Making
- Managing Resources
- Result Oriented
- Technical Expertise
- Time Management
- Sense of Urgency
- Critical Thinking
- Positive Communication
Position Qualifications: Education, Certification and Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to follow instructions as given in either form.
- Ability to handle stressful and/or difficult situations as presented by visitors, staff and/or volunteers.
- Ability to build quick, meaningful, and long lasting relationships with visitors.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues in a professional and discrete manner
- Ability to provide compassionate, high level customer service.
- Ability to assess situations from a holistic perspective.
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact and diplomacy.
- Outside-the-box thinking and problem solving
- Ability to work in environments with possible exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, traffic hazards, pathogenic substances, animal attacks and animal bites.
- Must be 18 years of age, has a high school diploma or equivalent GED, valid driving license, and must have personal integrity and remain free of felony convictions.
- Ability to operate a computer and knowledge of commonly associated software programs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work daytime, evenings and weekends as assigned.
- Adherence to the applicable provisions of the Organization’s Policies & Procedures, the HR Policy Manual, and any other procedures, rules, regulations and policies set forth by appropriate authorities.
* When applying for this position, please send a resume to email@example.com and put “lifesaving” in the subject line.