Frequently Asked Volunteer Questions
What can I do as a volunteer?
- Cat Socialization – Pet cats, read to cats, play with cats, brush cats, etc.
- Cat Cage Cleaning – Prior to opening help staff clean kennels, feed cats, and prep cages.
- Cat Enrichment Building & Distributing – Build fun toys for cats to play with and distribute to cats daily for some enrichment time.
- Kitty City Greeter – Welcome visitors of kitty city and help answer any questions they may have.
- Dog Walking – Tues, Wed, Sat, & Sun walk group 10AM-1PM – Walk dogs around the shelter to give them time out of their kennels.
- Dog Enrichment Building & Distributing – Stuff Kongs, make lick mats, and make pupsicles to then be distributed daily to dogs in their kennels.
- Census Taker – Help the lead volunteer with walk group keep track of what volunteer has what dog. (Great opportunity for someone who does not want to handle dogs but is happy to be around them).
- Playgroup Assistant – Help the behavior team with dogs taking part in playgroup activities. Must be a higher level volunteer for this position.
Administrative and Others
- Wash Dishes
- Off Site Events
How old do you have to be to volunteer at the shelter?
- 18+ to handle dogs
- 15+ to volunteer in Kitty City & Administrative/Others activities with parental consent/signature on volunteer agreement at 1st shift.
Can I complete my school or court-ordered community service at Cincinnati Animal CARE?
What is the time commitment for volunteers?
A minimum of 3 hours per month must be maintained in order to remain as an active volunteer at the shelter. Any volunteer who does not maintain the 3 hours per month and does not reach out to the Volunteer Coordinator to ask for a short term leave will be set as inactive in the system.
Will I receive training to volunteer?
Yes! It is very important to us that you have the knowledge and tools to work with our animals and on behalf of our organization. All volunteers are required to complete New Volunteer Orientation (online) and those working with dogs or cats are required to complete role-specific training with our program managers.
Can I bring my team from school or work in to volunteer?
Yes! We welcome teams of 3-10 members to volunteer at the shelter! Please email our Volunteer Services so we can arrange details.
We generally like to match volunteer groups with walking dogs. But, we have other seasonal opportunities, like landscaping and making enrichment items as well.